European Maker Week is a massive series of workshops and informative courses, conferences and talks about innovative maker projects, project exhibitions and shows, meetings with the business world and local institutions happening in 28 countries with the support of more than 200 local organizers happening from 30 May 2016-5 June 2016.
The launching event will take place in the Committee of the Region.
It will gather main players and historical European figures in the Makers movement, EU political authorities and the curators of the European Makers Week
The European Maker Week is an initiative promoted by European Commission and implemented by Maker Faire Rome in collaboration with Startup Europe. For this launching event, the Committee of the Regions is our supporting organisation. European Makers Week goal is to draw European citizens to the “Maker world” and the FabLab, Makerspaces, Hackersapce and the Hardware Startups Environment.
The objectives of European Maker Week are two folds:
- To create awareness about the importance of the maker culture to foster an education of creativity and innovation in all schools across Europe.
- To build bridges between local authorities and media and the main players of their own local makers ecosystems.
We particularly want to reach out to new players (e.g. Schools) who have never organized a maker event before.
OPENING CONFERENCE OF THE EUROPEAN MAKER WEEK
at the European Committee of the Regions, Room JDE 52
30th of May, 2016
- 8:30 / 9:30 – Registration and Welcome coffee
- 9:30 / 9:45 – Opening an European Makers Week as a mean to make a makers’ continent
Roberto Viola, Director – General DG Connect
- 9:45 / 10:05 – Let’s build a makers’ continent
Riccardo Luna, Maker Faire Rome (Curator of EMW)
Isidro Laso Ballesteros, Head of Startup Europe Team. European Commission. (Curator of EMW)
- 10:05 / 10:20 – Makers movement and the Future of Europe
Markku Antero Markkula, President of the European Committee of the Regions
- 10:20 / 10:40 – How all started. The creators of the Makers movement
Massimo Banzi, Genuino
- 10:40 / 11:00 – Maker Faire. A big push to Makers movement
Massimiliano Colella, Maker Faire Rome
Dale Dougherty, Maker Media
- 11:00 / 11:20 – Coffee break
- 11:30 / 11:50 – Live connection with several events happening simultaneously across Europe
- 11:50 / 12:30 – Building Maker communities across Europe
(Moderator: Bogdan Ceobanu )
Giedrius Kavaliauskas, TEA Makers
Jonathan Austin, Makespace – Micro:bit
Rodrigo del Prado, BQ Zum
Jeroen de Boer, FryskLab and FabLab Benelux Foundation
- 12:30 – Closing remarks (Isidro Laso)